[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - Bills / Paperwork - What to keep and how long to keep it
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

Bills / Paperwork - What to keep and how long to keep it

Inland Revenue, mail forwarding, address changes.

Bills / Paperwork - What to keep and how long to keep it

Postby Aimiloo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:49 pm

Aimiloo

Postby Sarah » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:18 pm

I had NO idea of how much to keep.

I ended up shredding everything older than a year old except for all the tax stuff and pay stubs which Ive kept. I also hung on to property stuff. If we closed down credit accounts and loans I kept only the past few months of statements, I kept all my bank statements (they dont take up much room). For open credit and loan accounts I kept 1 year.

These were just arbitrary decisions though.

Bankrate has a good table of what to keep and how long to keep it. Its something to work from -

Im going to change the title of the thread because this is a real good question.
Sarah

Postby KatieKat » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:40 pm

I've always kept them for 1 year and then a few things for the past 3 years (just in case I needed to show proof of address for the last 3 years i.e. so I kept an additional bank or credt card statement and utility bill and shredded the rest - I never throw out payment stubs, tax info or mortgage stuff though, but most of the rest.
KatieKat

Postby Liddy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:57 pm

We shredded and shredded and shredded...major clean out. We each tried to contain our main papers to an expandable file, which we carried on with us. We had some additional papers that we checked and shipped.

We kept:
- P60s, employment contracts, a few recent play slips, and threw out old pay slips. Enough to show proof of employment if needed.
-1-2 quarters of bank statements and shredded the rest (we do mainly online anyway)
-one quarter of utility bills, to keep our account numbers and a record of what we had, what we expected for final bills. We shredded all the utility bills and such from previous rentals/homes.
-all key investment info
-all important mortage and property papers
-auto insurance records for proof of no claims
-tax info
-subscription information

We basically went through each category/file (banking, utility, etc) and separated things into essential, good to have, shred. Then, we took the 'essential and good to have' piles and decided what addresses to change, what to cancel, etc.

Our bank here took our word as far as our UK account holdings and income and didn't ask for any proof. I was so used to the UK rule of 'proof of name and proof of address via a utility bill' that I thought we'd need to show those...so we've kept them just in case.

Happy shredding :)
Liddy

Postby Frances » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:41 pm

Anything related to taxes and income should be kept for seven years. For pay stubs, you can opt to trash all but the final one of the year (that will have your year-to-date earnings) after a year or two (remember to keep all of your W2s for seven years).

Bills and payment receipts should be kept for three months to one year. Or until the transactions have cleared. I get mine electronically, and keep them for three months.

Banking paperwork (loan agreements, mortgage info, credit card info, and payment receipts) should be kept for the length of the loan.

Car maintenance paper work should be kept for as long as you own the car. It may help you get a better trade-in or sale value if you can prove regular maintenance.

Finally, always keep marriage, birth, and death certificates "forever" - I would save all visa paper work until citizenship, after which just keep the citizen paper work and ditch the rest.
Frances

Postby ChristinaF93 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:58 am

Keeping tax related papers for seven years is a US requirement. I found this earlier when searching around for the answer. (I didn't see this thread).

In my search, I did find another location that said if you are self-employed you should keep your records for six years.

So....I've shredded everything except 2006 & 2007 P60s. It was a great feeling too as my husband had paystubs that were 10+ years old. LOL
ChristinaF93

Postby YankeeDaz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:08 pm

YankeeDaz

Postby YankeeDaz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:13 pm

Also, if you're carrying a laptop onto the plane that will count as you're one allocated piece of carry-on baggage. I decided to buy a larger laptop holdall with many side-pockets so all the personal papers that we're remaining always stayed with me.

Darren
YankeeDaz

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:41 am

Awesome advice Darren!

That method would also be really handy in case of an emergency or disaster where you had to leave quick or everything was destroyed. Put a copy of the backup dvds in a fireproof safe or at a safety deposit box off-site or send one to a friend / family member you trust. That way if you find all your paperwork or even home PCs trashed, you'll have copies of all of your insurance, certificates, finance docs etc.

I was working at a place that had some really nifty BIG OFFICE style copier / printer / scanner machines - you know the type. They could scan loads of docs straight to your desktop in seconds. It was awesome! If you have lots of docs to scan, say you have a small business, maybe investing in a scanner with an auto-feed tray would be a good idea.
Sarah

Postby Strawberry » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:41 pm

Strawberry

Postby YankeeDaz » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:02 am

I wouldn't pack it in the Robinsons shipment. You are taking a risk. Things can go missing. Its unlikely, but could still happen.

If you really need to keep that amount of physical documents (rather than scan the vast majority and store electronically on a computer disk) then send them as a parcel via FedEx so it's fully trackable:-

It took me a good month to scan and shred the documents I didn't really need physically, but well worth the effort. The scans came out really good, each taking up no more than around 500-800kb of space as pdfs. You can buy a good HP scanner for around £40 from Dabs.com in the UK.

HTH
Darren
YankeeDaz

Postby Strawberry » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:44 pm

Strawberry

Postby YankeeDaz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:40 am

YankeeDaz

Return to Before You Leave the UK