[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - Leaving the UK - What you should do for Inland Revenue
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

Leaving the UK - What you should do for Inland Revenue

Inland Revenue, mail forwarding, address changes.

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:52 am

When you leave the United Kingdom you HAVE to inform Inland Revenue to adjust your status to NON RESIDENT. This will affect your legal tax liabilities to the United Kingdom. Even if you have already left the United Kingdom and you have not yet filled out these forms, you should do so.

The Inland Revenue website has comprehensive and easy to understand information on what you must do when leaving the United Kingdom.

and

Most likely, if you are married to a UK Citizen or you are a UK Citizen you will require P85. If you are leaving the UK after a work assignment you will require P85(s). Both Citizens and non Citizens are required to submit P85 or P85(s) as long as you have been resident in the UK for any length of time.
Sarah

Postby GrnEyesnUK » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:48 pm

Thanks for posting this Sarah. This hadn't even crossed my mind since the UK is set up on the PAYE system and Alan was finally exempt from self-assessment. This one is bookmarked!
GrnEyesnUK

Postby Tony » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:13 am

Likewise thanks Sarah. I like to forget about the taxman unfortunatly the feeling isn't reciprocated..
Tony

Postby Sarah » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:19 am

Ah yes, the tax man loves us all... I keep getting "nice" letters from Inland Revenue to say "we believe you should be filing self-assesments this year" ... uugh! Thats something I havent been looking forward to. I can only just about figure out how to do my taxes in the united states let alone a completely different country. Now I understand why its so easy to give Mr British Tax Man so much of my hard earned money... I dont have to fill out forms and actually find out how much Im forking over. Whats the phrase? Out of sight, out of mind?
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:21 am

Btw, for anyone moving in the middle of a tax year it is most definitely in your best interests to send in a self assessment because you'll probably get a refund as they'll have been witholding the amount of tax they would expect you to pay in a full year's work.
Sarah

Postby Julie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:02 am

Yes, thanks Sarah....wouldnt even have thought to give notice!

Julie
Julie

Postby C_in_AZ » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:47 am

excellent... sending the link to dh!!

Thanks Sarah!

x
C_in_AZ

Postby sanctifyer » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:14 am

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for that important info about the IR that I haven't even considered..
If I fill in P85, does my wife also have to fill in P85(S)?
sanctifyer

Postby sanctifyer » Wed May 25, 2005 2:59 pm

sanctifyer

Postby Sarah » Thu May 26, 2005 3:22 am

Sarah

What to do

Postby james0013 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi all, Just wondered if I can pick your brains. I am emigrating to the USA in November and I am wondering what I have to do before I leave.

Also when I am have a job and eurning in the USA am I going to have to pay any expat taxes back to the uk goverment? or as I am no longer a resident of the UK am I ok?
Thanks
James
james0013

Postby Margotdarko » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:01 pm

Margotdarko

Postby ~Elizabeth~ » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:11 am

Stupid question time - I printed out the forms, filled them out...
Now.

Where to send?? Is there one main office? At the site it seems to list loads for different areas, and I don't even see one for my borough or London/Greater London. What am I missing?
=/
~Elizabeth~

Postby ~Elizabeth~ » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:50 am

Disregard... one phone call I happened to hit the right office and confirm the address. :)
~Elizabeth~

Postby Strawberry » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:44 pm

Strawberry

Postby YankeeDaz » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:47 am

You need to send the P85 form to your 'local' tax office. One address doesn't cater for all.

On your P45, the Office number equates to the 'numeral' within the following list:-

My office was Midlands West, hence 653 on my P45.

HTH
Darren
YankeeDaz

Postby katgold » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:13 am

katgold

Return to Before You Leave the UK