[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - Moving Health records
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

Moving Health records

Inland Revenue, mail forwarding, address changes.

Moving Health records

Postby KatieKat » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:43 pm

I'm wondering what to do about health records. Do we just ask for a copy to be sent to our doctor in the US? Or do we take them with us? And for those of you who have children, really all we need to worry about is bringing the little red book along with us, as that will have all immunization records in it etc?! -DD has never been to see a doctor, just her HV, well, she did see a GP once during a check-up but she will also have official records I assume.

Is it also possible to transfer maternity records over? Has anyone done this? I don't know why I am worried about this, but I would like to try for another baby in about a years time (well, to hopefully have another in about 2 years from now) and I've been diagnosed with something or other that means I can only give birth by c-section - it took 5 days of labour for them to figure that out - argh! and I don't want to go through that again! - so yeah, has anyone had their maternity records transferred- hopefully they are willing to do so.

Funnily enough this is my biggest worry about moving back LOL

Katie
KatieKat

Postby sanctifyer » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:53 am

sanctifyer

Postby Sheril » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:40 am

Sheril

Postby Lumpy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:55 am

KatieKat,

I've had 4 children, in 4 different places, and lots of surgeries as well. Each birth was complicated (c-section with one, PIH with another, diabetes with another, and polyhydraminios with 3 outta four of 'em). But when I divorced my first husband, I wasn't allowed to take my medical records with me. So, since then, I've just verbally told my GP everything, and he's just taken my word for it and made new records with my old history added in. So, if for some reason, you can't (if it's way too expensive to justify) get your records, you should still be okay in the long run. :)
Lumpy

Postby JenniferB » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:43 am

JenniferB

Postby Frances » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Frances

Postby mybelle » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:03 pm

If you have pre-existing conditions, which is treated is being treated on the NHS, what happens when you move to the US, would Health insurers cover these pre-existing conditions, and I guess it would be expensive as well ?

Mybelle
mybelle

Postby JenniferB » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:08 pm

We found out today that we need to type them a letter & pay them 10quid for the records.
JenniferB

Postby Frances » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Frances

Postby RichJ » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:04 pm

RichJ

Postby Frances » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:29 pm

Frances

Postby RichJ » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:52 pm

I agree.. I just wondered why it was useful to know that they cannot refuse you?
RichJ

Postby Frances » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:59 pm

It's usefull to know that you can not be refused so that you don't have an added stress and the thought of the "possiblity" of going through life without medical insurance, and thinking you may never be able to get insurance.

Call it information for the simple peace of mind.
Frances

Postby Lumpy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:59 pm

For me, hearing what Frances said just gave me piece of mind. It's good to know that no matter what pre-existing conditions you may have, they can't refuse you because of them. Maybe that's all she was trying to convey??

OMG...Wrote that at the same time Frances was....Spooky!!
Lumpy

Postby RichJ » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 pm

RichJ

Postby KatieKat » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:52 pm

Hi thanks - I don't go to my GP all that often but would you just make a standard appt with your GP and ask them to write up a letter even if you have no other reason for an appointment? I have a "rush, rush, don't waste my time" sort of GP
KatieKat

Postby Liddy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:02 pm

I'd call reception and ask them if they can take your request via the phone or if you need to make an appt (my guess is a phone call will be fine). When we needed DHs jab record for the medical we rang them up and they said to give them 5 days, pay £10 and they'd prepare it (I'l still shocked that we had to pay £10 for what is a computer printout on letterhead, but such is life).

Separately, Frances, thanks for the reminder that one cannot be refused insurance. Yes, it comes at a price, but it's reassuring in the same way that it's reassuring to know that everyone is entitled treatment even if one can't afford it (by law a hospital cannot turn a patient away if in need of immediate care. Yes, the person may go home in debt, but they are not denied care).
Liddy

Postby Liddy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:23 pm

Liddy

Postby Sheril » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:02 pm

Actually, under the data protection act you have a right to request a copy of your records ( but they have the right to refuse if it might prove harmful to the patient(or more bloody likely, the Dr!!)

As the sleep clinic are being difficult, make sure you put your request in writing (they need to respond withing a certain amount of time and so on) but you have a legal right to a copy essentially (don't forget that they can also make a "reasonable charge" for this to cover those mysterious "admin costs" (ie someone to press "print" on electronic archives, but nonetheless that's their right.

Some GP surgeries ask you to fill out a form making a request, just check which way they prefer, but I would always accompany that with a letter. Google some more information at the

Complaining via the Information Commissioner’s Office
You need to approach the Information Commissioner’s Office and request an assessment form, which you need to complete. You can get a copy of the form by visiting their website or calling on their enquiry line: 01625 545 745
Send the completed form to the ICO with copies of any related document.

Hth??
Sheril

Postby Liddy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Excellent, thanks! We'll try the GP and see what we can find out--it's a large practice (15 docs) so presumably they will be used to this type of thing. Hopefully they'll have a copy of the clinic reports.

The guy at the clinic probably couldn't be asked--he's a nice chap but fulfills the roles of receptioninst, technician, and clinic manager...a lot of multi-tasking!

If we don't have any luck then I'll try the above. Thanks much for the info!
Liddy

Return to Before You Leave the UK