[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - Arghhhh!!!
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

Arghhhh!!!

Talk for repats about repatration shock, leaving the UK, etc.

Postby RichJ » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:59 pm

RichJ

Postby Joanne » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:40 pm

Rich,

Nice to hear your objectives, I agree with alot of your points. It comes down to what works for the individual, we lived in beach community in Central California, very earthy, very clean, no congestion, fantastic weather, little or no crime. I now live in Manchester, about 6 miles from the city centre, the contrast is night and day. I'm in one of the worst places to live in the UK, per TV programme on a few months ago. As opposed to the 3rd best place to live in the US, per MSN. I think about things a whole lot differently now I'm a mother and frankly this place terrifies me. Hence we are on a fast track to get back to that beach community we left.

What's the beef with Fox News guys?? You didn't notice but it's fair and 'balanced' not 'unbalanced' .... hides ones face.

Peace Out!
Joanne

Postby sohosid » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:36 pm

Hey there! Good luck with your move back to CA!!

One word of caution...if you're expecting cheaper housing...forget it! CA is astonishingly expensive! (Bay Area especially) Whilst most houses are possibly larger than the average in the UK, they are also much more pricey. Cost of living generally IS better here, but we'd still be pushing finances to breaking point right now to even consider buying.

I personally do agree with many of your points, and having lived here now for nearly 5 months, I'm still of that opinion. Litter IS less...life does NOT revolve around booze. I lived in London, a so called '24 hour city'...pah. (although for comparison, San Francisco isn't 24 hour either, but stores are open much much later).

Finally, Rich.........why on earth are you trying to get INTO the States? Sounds from your arguments that it's the last place you should be heading for!

Mike
sohosid

Postby Joanne » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:15 pm

Hi Mike,

Glad you're loving the CA lifestyle, sounds like it suits you. I'm lucky in the fact that we previously owned a home in CA and sold it for a tidy profit, we came here and bought two houses. I still have my CA equity and we are moving to San Luis Obispo county, considerably cheaper than the fantastic, one of my most favourite places in the world! Bay area. Have you been to the Stinking Rose yet? It's a garlic themed restaurant. If not, it's an absolute must.

Enjoy!
Joanne

Postby Joanne » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:18 pm

Mike,

You're quite the talented photographer, just checked out some of your work, I'm very impressed. Much success to you!
Joanne

Postby dancingbrave » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:34 pm

I can't help myself. I've had to add my 2 cents...

I work in the public sector in the UK and can only endorse ukmisgirl's post...I think we see it first in the public sector--by the time things filter to the general population it's too late!

I have been here a very long time and had no intention of transplanting my other half, but things have gone beyond the pale...sometimes I thnk I'm in one of those horror movies, (barbarians at the gate, lunatics in charge of the asylum, run for your lives etc hmm, maybe I've seen too many movies...=)) but I digress... an encapsulation of what I feel, as alarmist as it may sound is, it's not only worse than you think, it's also later than you think...

I don't even concern myself with re-entry into American society issues anymore (having been away decades that used to worry me) but instead look to the support of my family and my friends--they represent the type of people I prefer to live among, even though they are in different places, their values seem to be shared by many. While every society has its ugly bits, the feeling I get from real people I know who function within it, is that it is more than OK...no wonder so many want to live in America. I can't wait to get home!

db
dancingbrave

Postby Joanne » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:18 pm

Dancing Brave, how do you feel about Fox News??;)

Joking aside, thanks for you post, I know I'm not going crazy! You see my UK family who have always lived here, see nothing wrong, I guess you get desensitised over the years. When I left the UK in 91, it was nowhere near this bad, it wasn't great but it wasn't so bad. I came back in 2003 and boy what a huge culture shock! I'm actually scared in my own home, I live in a good neighbourhood too. I own a 2005 Mercedes CL and I can't wait to get rid of it, I feel like a walking target. It's not uncommon, happened to a good friend of mine, her door was bashed in at 3am one morning and a gang of masked men entered her home, she has 2 small boys and was 7mths pregnant and demanded her car keys while holding a knife at her husbands throat. I was sat on my sofa one afternoon and witnessed an armed gang swap cars outside of my home after an armed robbery. The headline in tonights paper was an ambulance was robbed of it's navigation system and mobile phone while the crew where in a block of flats on an emergency. Firemen are getting assaulted when out on calls, to me this is sheer anarchy. This is a country where you 'need' the right to bear arms.

Good Lord I can talk!
Joanne

Postby RichJ » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:47 pm

Interesting thread. I'm not of the overall opinion that England is a better place to live, but I resent it when people point out things that are actually worse in America. The advantage of America, for those who are that way inclined, is that you can bury your head in the sand very nicely because the amount of space allows you to segregate poor areas and buy your way out of there. I prefer England for that because it gives you a more rounded perspective on the world. Take the anecdotes about violent crime for instance. As all the statistics show, America is a much worse place for that. But if you've got money you can buy your way into a fake reality and ignore the poor.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I don't like these overly simplistic 'which is better' points. I also don't feel comfortable with simply going for the short term attraction of big cars, big space, big consumerism - and it doesn't sit comfortably with me that this is all for the fortunate only. Despite all those advantages, the average person still manages to suffer from those poor average statistics I described earlier.

I also think that a lot of people don't compare apples with apples. Living in the UK often means living near a city. But a lot of the comparisons are then made with small town America. I go to English city centres and they are vibrant places with people around, restaurants, bars, movies and entertainment, and a general buzz of life. I go to American city centres and I see ghost towns that even have no-go areas outside the working week, with many run down areas.

I grew up in Manchester so I know all about the 6 miles from Manchester reality. And it's not pretty. But it doesn't take much to buy your way out of that either to the delights of somewhere like Cheshire.

The major advantage of America it seems to most, is that it is cheaper. What I don't like is why it is cheaper.
RichJ

Postby Joanne » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:22 am

Joanne

Postby Joanne » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:25 am

Check homes in California, New York, DC, Virginia, Boston etc.. definately not cheaper, depends on were you go.

Joanne

Postby Joanne » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:36 am

Rich

Where in the US are you hoping to move to? and where in Manchester did you live? Just curious.

regards,
Joanne
Joanne

Postby Sarah » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:47 am

Sarah

Postby geally » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:06 am

geally

Postby Joanne » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:21 am

Joanne

Postby Joanne » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:28 am

Joanne

Postby Peach » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:21 pm