[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - SCF Run-Through?
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

SCF Run-Through?

All info and questions relating to SCF in general.

SCF Run-Through?

Postby kim1220 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:01 pm

DH and I ran into a fellow American on the bus today who said he (USC) and his wife (UKC) wanted to move to the States, but they didn't have the first idea about what they need to do to get a visa for his wife. He unfortunately thought the time-frame for getting a US visa would be about the same as getting a UK one (around a week). When I told him it took us nearly a year to get my husband's visa via DCF, he was gob-smacked!

Anyway, he was hoping they could return to the States in September/October of this year. I knew they wouldn't get a visa by DCF in just a few months, but I was wondering if they would be able to move back to the US and apply via SCF? Would they be able to remain together in the States while the application is processing?

I was just hoping I could get some information on the SCF process to pass along to them. Thanks for reading!!

--Kim
kim1220

Postby Lynne » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Kim,

I'm doing the SCF process so I can tell you the process I am going though and what I know based on my own researh...

So I take it that the USC is in the US and the UKC is in the UK. Unless his wife has another way of legally staying in the States - work or student visa - then she will have to remain in the UK for the process of the application. She will be able to visit on the VWP during this time as normal - usually allows a stay of up to 90 days. However if the immigration officer suspects that the VWP is being used to stay permanently while waiting for the visa then she might be denied entry. eg going for three months leaving and then going back for another three months. It seems best to just visit for shorter trips and take loads of proof of return to the UK when visiting during the process.

So the process.....

You fill out the I-130 and send with the various supporting documents (similar to DCF), plus fee and send to a lockbox address in Chicago. They then decide to send your application to one of two service centres depending on where the petitioner lives. It's either Vermont or California.

The service centre sends you a receipt to say they have it - often referred to as NOA1
and usually add you into an online system at the USCIS website so you can see what's happening with your case.

If you don't get any RFEs the next time you will hear from USCIS will be to let you know they have approved the I-130 petition - usually called the NOA2. Timescale for this can be anything from 3 months to... who knows - I'm still at this stage and we have been waiting nearly 9 months for the petition to be approved.

USCIS then send your application to the National Visa Centre (NVC)

At the NVC there are more forms and fees. The main one is the affidavit of support information so the petitioner does the I-864 with all the tax and financial information and beneficiary fills out the DS-230 and the sends with all the supporting docs needed to the NVC. This stage can take about 5 weeks at its quickest if you pay online and get all forms in promptly or it can take a few months depending on how quick you are.

Once passed by the NVC the application gets sent to the London embassy - and they send you medical information and interview date. From this point on it's very similar to the DCF process.

So it can take 6-8 months if you are very lucky. But 10-12 months I think is more realistic.

Hope that helps
Lynne

Postby geally » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Yes, DCF is the fast way to get a visa! SCF usually takes 11-12 months. If he has been living in the UK long enough, he can go the DCF route and maybe get there by the end of the year!

I went the SCF route...if you click on my profile you will be able to see my timeline.
geally

Postby kim1220 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Thanks for the info! The guy has only been living here for about a year (on a UK spousal visa), so he might JUST be able to meet the requirements for DCF filing. DH and I filed via DCF ourselves, and it took about a year, but we stretched it out to take that long (if we would have done things promptly, it probably would have only taken 8 months). I'll be sure to pass on all the information. I guess it boils down to whether or not they are willing to be separated for about a year.

Thanks again for your help, guys!

--Kim
kim1220

Return to Service Center Filing (SCF)