[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - I-130 - not processed in London?
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

I-130 - not processed in London?

All info and questions relating to SCF in general.

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:52 am

Pete

Postby handel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:07 pm

Many thanks for your helpful reply, Pete. May I ask if you have your visa, and if so how long it all took?
handel

Postby Connie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi Ellen,

How are you?

A lot of us here in the DIA forum included in our profiles, the chronologies of our immigration processes. Perhaps you should take a peak in some of them to have an idea about the average period that takes to have the whole process over and done.

You are welcome to look at my profile, anytime
PS I am sending you my home phone number and address, so that when you get in town, you can come by and have a brunch/lunch, over my little place here in Houston, ok?

I am here rooting for you to have a smooth time during the immigration process.
Best Regards.
Connie

Postby handel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks Connie & everyone for your helpful replies. Our crunch time is coming up soon - do we sign the contract to sell our house here & then rent so that the kids can stay in school, whilst we take the chance that my visa will be forthcoming - or do we say goodbye to this very nice young couple who are desperate to buy our home, and put our house on the market again in 5 -6 months time once my visa is through - and risk losing a lot of money since prices are already falling and may crash?

Part of me says - take the money, you''ll never get an offer as good as this one, and you're a shoo-in for the visa, so what if you rent for a bit? The other part of me says, never never never sell your children's home until you're 100% sure of what's going to happen!

What would you all do? I hate both choices!
handel

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:09 pm

Pete

Postby Connie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:06 pm

I make Pete's opinion, mine too.

In my case, my husband and I put our place in the market to be sold on October 19th, day of my husband's immigration medical exams.

We told Remax Scotland to start showing the place to prospective buyers, but telling them in advance, that the sale will take place the day after my husband's interview at US Embassy if everything was positively approved.

Even though we were still in the house, the Realtor in Scotland asked to step out for about 1 hour for him to bring over the prospective buyers (he got a group of 6 people to choose from, who wanted to buy our place). After the interview on November 22nd, leaving the US Embassy, still in London, we called the Realtor in Scotland over the phone, and told him that we were ready to go through with the sale, choosing the buyer who offered the higher amount, and who paid us in Cash.

This way we could attach the Realtor's appraisal letter with the sale price to the I-864 along the Income Tax Returns, and this way prove Asset/Income.

Ellen, in your case I am sure is going to be a very easy process, and please remember, time flies, and very fast 5 months will pass, and you will have your visa in hand.
Connie

Postby Sarah » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:52 am

If you search the forum for "establishing domicile" or other similar keywords, you'll find a few recent posts from me to people who had exceptional absence from the US and needed to demonstrate their intent to reestablish domicile in the US.

Filing US Tax Returns does not in any way show intent to reestablish or maintain domicile in the US. US Citizens who are permanently resident abroad with no intent to move back to the US are required by law to file US Tax Returns, so having filed Tax Returns will do no good for your husband in respect of demonstrating intent to re-establish domicile.

The threads I recently posted in re: domicile should help you a great deal in coming up with documentary evidence to help support your application. Perhaps the most effective documents are quotations from international relocation companies and sales documents or valuations and real estate listing contracts of a family home in the UK. As I said in one of my latest posts on the topic, its not so much about showing that you are establishing a domicile in the US as it is about RELINQUISHING your domicile in the UK.

HTH
Sarah

Postby handel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:43 am

Many thanks for these helpful replies. I know I'm a worrier, and it's usually for nothing! Yes, we're 100% sure we want to go, just scared of losing our home in case the whole thing goes awry - but as you say, there is no reason why I would not get a visa, it's just me being neurotic & imagining that I might get someone who has had a bad Taco day & throws out all our documents, saying 'This isn't enough! Fine, you've got the International Movers' quotes (four of them, actually, and all done before I-130 submitted) you've got the dog's Rabies certificate, you've got the sale contract from your London house, you've got the letter from the Principal of the High School you want your son to attend, you;ve got the US bank account... but that's NOT ENOUGH! Your husband has to MOVE TO US without you, you have to stay here without him & the kids & the dog - don't you know that you're SUPPOSED TO SUFFER FOR THIS? And so on!!!
handel

Postby Sarah » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:13 pm

I think that pretty much sums up how everyone feels at one point or another during the process. TBH, its not a bad feeling to have because it keeps you on your toes and ahead of the IOs in London. It makes you check and re-check (and re-check and re-check!) your documents and cover all your bases.
Sarah

I-130 processing info?

Postby allisonmarie329 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:52 pm

allisonmarie329

Postby JoannaV » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:42 pm

I'd hope you'd receive something in the next week. It is also possible that your case may be taking a little longer for some reason, but I wouldn't assume that just yet.
If you go here: there is a thread where some people who filed around the same time as you have been exchanging updates :-)
JoannaV

Postby Lady Ice » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi Allison

I am not originally from TX but will be heading there as all my family have ended up or retired there. I can't wait to go back though I miss everyone one so much.

I am sorry to hear you are having such bad luck with the Embassy. Definitely check out the post above and follow up with the Embassy if you don't hear anything.

I can say that after my card was debited I received an email that they had my Petition and gave me the official date they received it as well. Once the Website had reached our date is was about 5 days later we got the return envelope with the notification that it had been accepted. Then today we got notification that the Embassy had it and that they are waiting for us to file the next step.

Good Luck and I hope you hear something soon
Lady Ice

Previous

Return to Service Center Filing (SCF)