[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - I-130 - not processed in London?
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

I-130 - not processed in London?

All info and questions relating to SCF in general.

I-130 - not processed in London?

Postby handel » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:03 pm

We live in London - spouse is USC, I am UKC applying for visa to move to US - and we had thought that our 1 - 130 would be filed here in London, where we sent it, through Direct Consular Filing. When spouse called them today they said no, this isn't true, all applications go to USCIS in the US!

But it still says, on the Embassy's own site, that if you file in London it is dealt with here!

This sounds grim news as it's likely to cause even more delay! Can anyone shed any light on this?
handel

Postby Connie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Ellen,

If both of you are living in the UK, you should file DCF in London at the US Embassy.

If you have a chance, please take a look at my profile. There, I wrote a detailed chronological description of our successful immigration process story. Hope it can be helpful to you too.
Connie

Postby handel » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:45 pm

Connie, thanks so much for your helpful reply! Why don't they seem to know anything at the Embassy?! I spoke to someone who said 'You can only have your 1_130 dealt with in London if your husband has permission to stay in UK' - well, husband is a UK as well as US citizen, he's lived her for 30 years, has UK passport etc etc... but this chap said' Yes, that's all well & good, but unless you sent in his official permission to stay, you can't have DCF in London!' I had never heard of 'oficial permission to stay' - of course he got this, 29 years ago, long before he brecame a full UK citizen too! Grrrrr!
handel

Postby Connie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Probably the person who was on the phone with your husband, was not clear enough. she should have told him, that DCF is indeed filed and approved in the US Embassy in London.

But after arriving here in the US I was told by an UCIS officer how the process in London really takes place in bureaucracy terms:

We file in London and get approved. After receiving our application, the US Embassy, requests an A# to be issued by the USCIS here in the US, to be sent back to the US Embassy in London to be assigned to our process/application, that is the reason why it takes SO long to get a NOA, (I am NOT talking about the postcard, but the REAL letter of approval ). This is an internal procedure, and does NOT affect us.

I believe that was the explanation the person was trying to convey, but it came out wrongly and confusing.
Connie

Postby handel » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 pm

Connie, you're a model of clarity. What a pain it all is!

I see you're in Houston - that's where we're headed, too - my sister in law & family live in Cypress, we plan to live in The Woodlands. I hope! Thanks again.
handel

Postby Connie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Ellen,

You are welcome !!!

I live in the Medical Center area not far from the Downtown skyscrapers. Please let me know when you are finally arrving so that I can forward you my home address, ok?
Connie

Postby Sarah » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 am

Sarah

Postby Margotdarko » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:52 am

Yep, he's way way eligible for filing in the I-130 with London USCIS. :)

Something to think about in advance is USA domicile as he's been in the UK for so long he may be asked to show more than the usual amount of evidence. Does he have any property in the US still? Don't worry if he doesn't, it's just that would be the easiest way to prove USA domicile.

Has he been filing his US tax returns (assuming he's been earning money in the UK)? If not, don't panic. The IRS will help him backfile and unless he made over $82,000 USD in any give year, he won't owe any money on his UK income. :) Also, if he doesn't already, he should open a couple US accounts in advance if possible. And lastly, once you're getting closer to the interview, securing a lease or mortgage in the US would really prove USA domicile.

I hope that's helpful instead of making it sound too complicated! It's really not too bad - just something to be aware of and prepared for. :)
Margotdarko

Postby handel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:07 pm

Many thanks. The US domicile thing is a problem! I thought that if we were going through all the business of getting a visa for me, that would show intent to move? We will be buying a place for cash once there, so won't lease or have a mortgage - but obviously we can't buy there until I get my visa! Similarly, we can't open a US bank account until we are actually there, & we have no plans to go over until the move. However - we have sold our house here & have the Agent's & Solicitor's documents to prove it; we have been viewing over there & selected three houses we'd like, but of course by the time we move they will be gone! It's not possible to register the kids in schools until we move as we don;t know which schools will be in the zone of the house we eventually choose!

If anyone has any helpful suggestions I'd be most grateful! It seems like a Catch 22 situation - you can't get a visa unless he does all the stuff needed to 'show intent to move,' but you can't do all that stuff until you get the visa! BTW his moving over there without me is not an option.
handel

Postby Connie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:42 pm

Eileen,

Does your husband have any relative or friend here in the US, where he could use as "US home address"? Perhaps that could be helpful. When I prepared David forms, when asked for an address in USA, I used my daughter's home address in California.

When we arrived here in Houston (POE was Newark/NJ), we stayed in an "Extended Stay" hotel for about 3 weeks, time we took to see the places and areas where we were interested to live in, previously selected via the internet, and phone calls to the Remax Realtor in Houston. And we finally bought in cash, our place, on the 12/29/06 and moved into the new place on January 1st/07.

Just my humble opinion: Using his Social Security Card and US passport, could your husband come to the US for a short trip with time enough to act on bank account openings, see location where to live/schools, etc? If he has an address in USA from someone he trusts, a close friend or relative, he could do that. (Sometimes opening a Savings account is less hassle than opening a full checking account, at least in the meantime before the whole family moves in).

You also could get in touch with a Realtor here in Houston, who could carefully start looking for nice properties on your behalf. And by the time, you all be ready to move, he would have a reasonable number of properties to choose from. I did this way and worked wonders for me and my husband.

I wish you lots of good luck, and if you need any referral please drop me an email, ok?
Connie

Postby Margotdarko » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:55 pm

Margotdarko

Postby Connie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:22 pm

Connie

Postby handel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:36 pm

handel

Postby Connie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:40 pm

Eileen,

It is MANDATORY for ALL US Citizens to file Income tax Returns yearly, even if they are living in another country other than USA, because it is a FEDERAL LAW of the USA.

And your husband, as a US Citizen is automaticly your spouse/sponsor and his income tax returns should be included in the I-864 (AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT) that he NEEDS to fill up to be presented at your intervierw at USA Embassy when time comes.

Therefore it is IMPORTANT for him to file his US Income Tax Returns from the income he earned in the UK ASAP, because they will be PART important to be attached to the I-864 (AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT) PLUS AN ASSET info he will include also in the form I-864, he HAS to file as your spouse/sponsor.

Your relatives can be a Joint-Sponsor and can file as a Joint Sponsor affidavit TOO
Connie

Postby Connie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:47 pm

Eileen,

Please read and ask your husband to read my profile, where I can explain in detail how Idid to have my husband process properly filed and promptly approved, it can be helpful.
Connie

Postby Margotdarko » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Margotdarko

Postby handel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Yes, he has filed tax returns and will present these with I-864. However, they are largely irrelevant as they relate to income which will stop once he moves back to US! The notes of guidance with the I-864 state 'You cannot use income which will not continue once you are in the USA' - obviously!
handel

Postby Connie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi Eileen,

In my situation, I can say the Income tax return is a mandatory step according to the law. To prove Asset, I attached also to I-864, the Remax Realtor appraisal letter with sale price of my fully owned place in Scotland . It proved to the US Embassy that my fully owned property was going to be sold shortly and the proceeds/cash of the sale was going to be our "income" that will provide for us to buy a new home and pay for our expenses with no constraints in US. This way I met the requirements of the I-864.

Still my daughter in California wanted to participate in my husband's immigrant process. So she sent from California to us in Scotland, a filled up, signed and notarized Joint Sponsor form with her income tax returns and her proof of assets attached.

The US Visa Consul at the window, smiled and told David, my husband, that the requirements were met and highly satisfied, and showed also that my husband has a true and strong family ties in the US.
Connie

Postby Connie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:03 pm

Ellen, (I'm sorry for calling you Eileen on my previous posts)

Please read my profile and you will see that the immigration process is hard, but once one gets the forms properly filled, according to the requirements, it flows like a breeze.
Connie

Postby Margotdarko » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:01 am

Margotdarko

Next

Return to Service Center Filing (SCF)