Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

Affidavit of Support/tax transcripts question

Information for green card holders.

Affidavit of Support/tax transcripts question

Postby vinceloc » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 am

Hi,
I did not file tax returns for the last three years although I was required to to so. Ironically, I am owed a refund for all three years! I have now filed for 2009, 2010, and 2011. The problem is that only 2009 has so far been processed and I am still waiting for 2010 and 2011. I got a letter from the IRS requesting evidence for an educational tax credit that I claimed. I have sent them the required evidence, but now I will not get the 2010 and 2011 tax returns processed in time of the deadline for the Affidavit of Support.

We have 86 days and time is running out in less than two weeks. I am wondering what I should do. Should I send in my IRS stamped copies of the tax returns with some sort of explanation? These tax returns have been filed but not yet processed. How should I handle the fact that I will not get the tax transcripts back from the IRS in time?

Another potentially relevant factor: I have assets that I can use to show my ability to support my wife. Perhaps I should include this as a supplement? But I am worried about the tax returns. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vincent
vinceloc

Postby JoannaV » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 am

So long as you provide copies of the returns with the supporting documentation (so any W2s or Schedules), that is fine.
JoannaV

Return to Permanent Residents & Sponsors