[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - A Great Sunday Roast
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

A Great Sunday Roast

Share your recipies, talk fooooood.

A Great Sunday Roast

Postby MrsHutch » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:26 pm

MrsHutch

Postby lplkemc » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:50 pm

lplkemc

Postby Frances » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Frances

Postby Liddy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:59 pm

Liddy

Postby cranners99 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:46 am

Erica,

If you get down to FL then have a look in Publix, they are a grocery chain based in Lakeland FL and each store has a British section. I was able to get hold of a tub of Birds Custard powder for $4.99 where the British 'specialty' shops in the tourist Kissimee area ask for a few $ more.

You can always doctor up 'Stove Top' with dried sage and onion. Use it as you have been the Paxo stuff, some hot water, butter and your seasonings, then bake it to dry it out more then the US style would serve.

There are lots or recipes for 'Yorkies" from scratch on the net, the real trick is to chill the batter before use, but have the pan and grease hot...a bit like corn bread.

I'n not a chef, but I know waht I Like

HTH
Cranley
cranners99

Postby geally » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Don't use stove top (although, in my personal experience it is what children prefer!), pepperidge farm dried stuffing mix is wonderful, you can doctor it up anyway you want.

I grew up in New England...the large Sunday dinner (usually with roast beef or roast chicken with all the fixings, and drippings) was the norm in most homes (ok...this was the 60's and 70's!) and I think the Sunday dinner is still alive and kicking in some form or another most places. Even if it isn't a proper Sunday roast, it is usually a larger fare with family or guests and a special pudding!

Before moving to the UK I never knew pre-made yorkshire puddings existed! To tell you the truth, I haven't looked to see if they exist here in VA. When I make yorkshire puddings, I make my own...really not too hard and it doesn't matter what shape they take if you smother them in enough butter and gravy! :D

Oh...and the WalMarts I have shopped at usually have a varied vegetable section.
geally

Postby Sarah » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:33 pm

Sarah

Postby AmericanWoman » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:16 pm

[quote="geally"]Don't use stove top (although, in my personal experience it is what children prefer!), pepperidge farm dried stuffing mix is wonderful, you can doctor it up anyway you want.

I grew up in New England...the large Sunday dinner (usually with roast beef or roast chicken with all the fixings, and drippings) was the norm in most homes (ok...this was the 60's and 70's!) and I think the Sunday dinner is still alive and kicking in some form or another most places. Even if it isn't a proper Sunday roast, it is usually a larger fare with family or guests and a special pudding!QUOTE]

Yummy, Pepperidge farm stuffing mix! I grew up in New England too and always had sunday dinner with the family. My mom makes a mean roast beef dinner with all the fixings.

We dont always do sunday dinner here in the UK - usually just the weekends when the children are with us - but they always beg me to cook a turkey! Do you know how it is to find turkeys here in the UK? LOL

I'm looking forward to having one of my moms family dinners when I move back.
AmericanWoman

Postby MrsHutch » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:08 pm

MrsHutch

Postby Mrs. M. » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:37 pm

Mrs. M.

Postby Sheril » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:20 am

Sheril

Postby MrsHutch » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Yes Sheril there is nothing like Paxo stuffing...yum...I tell you, I will WILL WILL preserver (sorry if spelling is wrong) to continue the GREAT BRITISH SUNDAY ROAST with vigour!
MrsHutch

what US cut of beef to buy for Sunday roast?

Postby kreadew » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 pm

kreadew

Postby CanaryGirl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:14 am

CanaryGirl

Postby lplkemc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:22 am

The brisket your BIL used is the same flat slab you see in the states. It is just rolled up! I use brisket quite often for our sunday roasts and they are rolled up and tied with string, fat on the top. In fact, if it is prepacked it says "Rolled Brisket".

Either get your butcher (most probably at the supermarket) to roll it, or ask them which string is suitable to use for cooking.

Good luck!!!
lplkemc

Postby Birdy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:25 am

ok stop with the roast talk i dont have time to do one for breakfast :)
Birdy

Postby Frances » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:00 pm

Frances

Postby lplpaca » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:54 pm

Hmmm, MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - sorry another Homer moment - I will be getting my meat fix with a bowl of 'scouse' tonight - still jealous of that birthday steak though! :)

For those who want to know what scouse is -
lplpaca

Postby AnnieRose » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 am

AnnieRose

Return to Food & Drink