Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

I am a US citizen engaged to a UK citizen...so many questions. Please help!

Information on applying for US or UK Citizenship and being a dual citizen.

I am a US citizen engaged to a UK citizen...so many questions. Please help!

Postby AZSA_San_Francisco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I have been doing the long distance thing (San Francisco to UK) for over a year and we have decided to get married. I am thrilled about it but also overwhelmed with the amount of information, forms and rules to consider.

Right now we are trying to decide if we should get married in the UK or in the US. We plan on living in the US initially after we get married so is it best to marry here? To get married in the UK it looks like I need to be over there for a month which might be difficult to do with work. Ideally we would like to get married in the UK but will consider the US if it makes more sense.

Any help or insight is much appreciated! This is all very confusing and I just want to marry him already!

:)

Allison
AZSA_San_Francisco

Postby JoannaV » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:32 am

Well. It depends.

- You can marry in the US then apply for a US spousal visa. Whilst this is being processed (say 8-10+ months) you would not be able to live together but could visit each other for as long as possible.

- You can apply for a US fiance visa. Once this is processed (again, 8-10+ months) you can marry in the US then remain in the US living together. It will be a few months after that till the UK citizen can work.

- You can marry in the UK, which as you know involves meeting various requirements. Then apply for the US spousal visa. Again, can visit each other whilst waiting but won't be living together till visa is received.

So it depends on what is important to you. Where you get married, how important it is that you are living together right after getting married, cost.

What some people also do is separate the legal marriage and the fancy ceremonial stuff. So legally marry in the US, then later have the big "wedding" in the UK for all your family and friends to attend.

Right now are in separate countries or is he happening to be visiting you right now...?
JoannaV

Postby JasminePearce » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:57 am

Ok! I was not aware about this rule. I am thinking to change my wedding view after coming here. I marrying in US would be more convenient.
JasminePearce

Return to US & UK Citizenship