[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - Jury Duty USA
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

Jury Duty USA

Your rights as a resident or citizen of the US & how the US government works.

Jury Duty USA

Postby AmericanWoman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi all

Well once again for the second time since moving to the UK - I have been called for Jury Duty in the USA. LOL

I am one of the lucky ones that have always been called every 3 years for Jury Duty when I lived in the US. When I first moved to the UK in 2003 I was called for Jury Duty that following year and sent them a lovely letter explaining that I am no longer a resident of the US and that I reside in the UK, blah, blah, blah.

My parents just posted me my mail and included is a Jury Duty notice for August! LOL The funny thing is that it is under my Maiden name. I figured it would had picked up my married name since I changed everything back in 2006. (SS number, driving License, taxes, Bank Records, etc) I wonder why its still in my maiden name?

Just sent off another lovely letter explaining that I am not a resident anymore and that I reside in the UK. I did fail to mention that I am moving back in a couple of months, LOL but I'm sure in another 3 years I will get another Jury Duty notice. Its like clockwork! :)

Anyone else ever had this problem? Was there somewhere else that I was suppose to notify when I moved to another country? Just curious.

:)
AmericanWoman

Postby ChristinaF93 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:31 pm

I spent six weeks in the UK and came home to a summons just before our wedding. It was dated for the week after our wedding, when we were flying out. I just called the clerk's name that was on it and explained the situation. She said she would take me off the list and I've never heard from them again. Of course, I renewed my driver's license when I was a year and a half ago so I'm probably right back on their database.

I actually think it would be cool, in a way, to partake in our judicial system.
ChristinaF93

Postby Connie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Yes, I had it. A letter of Malibu Court requesting my presence in a Jury Duty was sent to my ex-husband home, who forwarded to me while I was in Scotland.

And I called the Mailibu court, Jury Duty sector, and was instructed to write a letter and attach a photocopy with my Scottish marriage certificate showing my name change, a copy of our council property tax statement with both names: my husband's and mine, proving home address and ties with the UK. The letter explained that I no longer lived in the Los Angeles County, nor the US. I sent the letter with the attchments through registered Royal mail that required the recipient signature.

Once I returned to the US, I applied for a Texas ID Card, at the Department of Public Safety office, here in Houston. There, I was asked by the person who was processing my ID Card if I was registered voter, I replied that I used to be it, for the State of California, when I lived in the Los Angeles County.

And again, my ex-husband there in California received another invitation for me to serve in jury duty. I called Malibu again, and was told to do again the same procedure I did back in Scotland. I wrote a letter explaining I was now back to the US but not living in California.

I attached a photocopy of my home phone bill showing my name and my address in Houston, Texas, a photocopy of my Texas ID card, and a photocopy of Texas Voter Registration Certificate. I decided to send the letter and attachments through Certified Mail with Return receipt. Later on, I called Malibu Court and they told that everything was fine, and that my name was removed from the list of jury duty for the Los Angeles County, finally !!!
Connie

Postby Frances » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:30 pm

Frances

Return to The US Government & Voting