Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

health insurance for foreign spouse?

Your health, your rights, and your options.

health insurance for foreign spouse?

Postby beelishy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 am

Hi all

My husband and I are talking about repatting to the USA from the UK. I am American and he is a UK citizen. I am wondering if anyone can tell me or point me in the right direction....My husband has a pre-existing condition - Polymyositis (and auto-immune condition such as RA and lupus, etc) and he is on daily medication and has to have his blood monitored every 4--6 weeks. I am wondering how or if we could even get him any coverage. Is there a private plan that is realistically affordable? We've only seen quotes that were downright laughable! Or....If he gets a job...could he get insurance through his emplyer or if I were to get a job first...could I add him and get him coverage? Are there time periods in which foreigners are not eligible for coverage? Can/do they exclude his condition? Anyone know where or how I could go about finding out some more information on this? Its is pretty much the ONLY issue stopping us from repatting and it is frustrating as I cant seem to get any straight answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, please! :)
beelishy

Postby DaiSpy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 pm

If you wait until 2014 the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a., "Obamacare") will mean that an insurer can no longer deny coverage for a pre-existing condition. That said, there is no guarantee that the premiums they charge will get any better for such things.

The one thing you definitely want to avoid is a period without insurance or some kind, because that is usually the loophole that insurers like to use to avoid paying for almost anything, but especially pre-existing conditions (based on horror stories of denied coverage).
DaiSpy

Postby JoannaV » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:55 am

What David said. Many insurance options provided by employers already cover pre-existing conditions, and the NHS will count as previous coverage.
JoannaV

Postby danny » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:22 pm

I think whatever the time period is going they should compensate for all of the health care expenses, then whether these are pre-existing or just happened in the present. As, if lots of people is paying for a insurance out of his pocket, whether they are having some issues is not.
danny

Postby Ives » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 am

The husband of a friend of mine in NY State has a pre-existing condition-Crohn's Disease, also an autoimmune disease (and my husband has it too) and he has this insurance called a Bridge Plan, I think it's a 'bridge' between the current lack of medical care and the new Obamacare coming out in Jan 2014. She said it is about $400/mo and is specifically for people who have had no cover for at least 6 months and have a preexisting condition. I don't know what it's like in other states, or what the new obamacare will be like but am trying to find out myself, particularly about Florida.
Ives

Postby JoannaV » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 am

Prices can vary a lot between states.
In your case the NHS would count as prior cover so you shouldn't have to worry about that aspect of it at least.
JoannaV

Return to Health & Health Care