[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - Buying a home (do people really do this?)
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

Buying a home (do people really do this?)

Buying, owning, and renting your home in the US.

Buying a home (do people really do this?)

Postby Lynne » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Have been looking around for a guide to buying property in the US so that I feel familiar with all the terms and any little quirks that come up - well you all know what the UK system is like! I was looking for the equivalent of the lovely Kirstie and Phil from Location, Location, Location who have a great book out with good checklists etc.

Anyway found this list from Suze Orman on what to look for on your viewings....I have to say it made my English sensibilities want to shrivel up and die! Particulary the "make sure the dishwasher and washing machine works by running a load in each of them - bring your own dirty dishes if need be" LOL! Really?!

Anyone on here been this thorough? (And brave/shameless?)
Lynne

Postby Liddy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi! I can't say that we did all of that, but once we made an offer and had the home inspection it was very, very thorough. We came along with the inspector and it took about 3 hours--he checked everything, and I'm so glad he did. We had a list of repairs to request before moving in, and the sellers got most of them done for us. We didn't run the dishwasher, but he did run the disposable, test the water pressure in the showers, test all applicances, electrics, etc.

I don't think that I could be bold enough to do all that on my own, but it's worth checking out big items.

Some of the tips are good ones, such as visiting at different times of the day to check out traffic, noise, etc.
Liddy

Postby Lynne » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:14 pm

They do all sound like excellent ideas but I just can't imagine turning up and whipping out a bag of dirty towels - it's making me laugh still thinking about it!
Lynne

Postby Liddy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:18 pm

Same-that had me giggling! When we came to do the inspection the owner offered to hang out and walk around with us. Our guy quickly chased him out so that he could get down to business--I was really suprised at the level of detail he checked. However, I was really grateful for it as he found a few surprises (fixable).
Liddy

Postby ChristinaF93 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm sure this list is a worst case scenario and to give you ideas of things to look out for. I must admit that when our sellers told us they never used their dishwasher I was a bit worried. We had a home inspection done though and he tested to make sure that it was working.
ChristinaF93

Postby geally » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:03 pm

geally

Postby Perodicticus potto » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:40 am

Perodicticus potto

Postby Liddy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Liddy

Return to Home Ownership & Renting