[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Dive Into America Community Forums • View topic - Holiday Home for UK Resident?
Important note: This forum is now read only, and new user registration has been permanently disabled. Join DIA on Facebook to discuss anything immigration-related, or search/browse the archived information here. We also highly recommend the lovely people over at VisaJourney for lively and active discussions.

Holiday Home for UK Resident?

Buying, owning, and renting your home in the US.

Holiday Home for UK Resident?

Postby Ratzakli » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi

I've already posted this in the Introduce Yourself forum but I thought it might actually be better in this one so here goes:

I am due to be taking early retirement in the next 18-24 months and this will give me a nice little lump sum that I could use to buy a modest 2-bedroom property in Louisiana. My hope is to use this as a holiday home.

I would still keep my UK house as my main home so the UK would remain my main country of residence but I would have a couple of visits every year to the US - probably spending 2-3 months at a time there using the Visa Waiver Program.

This is pretty common over here and lots of people here have second homes in other countries in Europe - France and Spain being the most popular - but that is pretty easy because we are all part of the European Union. I'm not sure though how it works between the UK and the US.

I'd be really grateful if someone could help me with the following questions or point me in the right direction to where I might find the answers:

1. Are there any restrictions for a UK resident to buy a property in the US and visit it on a tourist visa?

2. Are there any restrictions to how often I could use the VWP and/or would I have to wait a certain period of time between visits?

3. If I ever wanted to make the move more permanent (which is doubtful as I don't think I could cope with the heat/humidity of a full Louisiana summer!), could I somehow use home ownership as a reason?

Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Stuart
Ratzakli

Postby Connie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Do you have a Realtor in the state where you are thinking of buying your property here in the US who is doing the property search for you?
He/She should know the regulations that should apply in your case.
I used REMAX here in Houston as my Realtor, here in Houston. He was very knowledgeable.

In the Visa Waiver Program the Visitor will be allowed to stay in the US for an innitial period of 90 days. If the Visitor wants to extend his stay permit, he/she will need to go to the nearest USCIS office, and apply for an extension of his/her permit to stay that should grant him/her another 90 days. The extension of the stay permit will be stamped on the for I-94 card, the same card the Visitor will receive at the airport at his/her arrival.

If the visitor does NOT apply for an extension to stay after his/her innitial 90 days period expires, he/she will be violating the non-immigrant laws.
Connie

Postby Ratzakli » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:22 pm

Connie

Thanks for taking the time to reply - and thanks for the warning about overstaying my Visa. I doubt that I will be tempted to do that because I need to attend fairly regular hospital appointments here in the UK so my visits would certainly be for less than 90 days each time. :D

What I can't seem to find any information on is how long I would have to spend outside the US between trips. Is there a limit to the number of days in total that I could spend there in any year? As I said in my earlier post, I think the heat and humidity of a full Louisiana summer might be too much for me to cope with so I would probably want to have 2-3 trips each year spread across the late-Autumn to Spring seasons.

I have already done some initial searches on a few Real Estate websites so I have some idea of what is available. I have also been trying to research some information about the various towns using places like this forum and the city-data site. So far, I think my favourite place has to be Natchitoches - it sounds ideal.

Of course, the reality may be different to the impression I have got from my researches so I won't be setting all my hopes on one place until I have had a chance to spend some time there. I am planning on visiting the area next year sometime so I can make contact with some Real Estate agents and get some initial enquiries started.

Thanks again.

Stuart
Ratzakli

Postby cranners99 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:38 pm

cranners99

Postby Connie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Connie

Postby cranners99 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:10 am

cranners99

Postby Connie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:58 am

Connie

Postby Ratzakli » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:27 pm

Ratzakli

Postby Connie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:19 pm

Connie

Postby Ratzakli » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Connie

I have actually been looking at Real Estate websites in your next-door state, around the Natchitoches area in Louisiana - so we'd almost be neighbours. ;)

If the ReMAX guys work around there, I'd be very happy to get the information from you when I am ready to go ahead. :)

Thanks

Stuart
Ratzakli

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:24 pm

Replied to you here:

Welcome to DIA, btw! :)
Sarah

Return to Home Ownership & Renting